26.9.13

focus [microcosmos]








It is an odd sentence to write;

I found my latest artistic inspiration via the Gordonvale IGA Supermarket and a camera with mould trapped in its lens…

strange, but true…

After pushing two tired poets in an overloaded pram, in order to get some desperately needed ‘essentials’ [the only reason for which I can be found to visit the aforementioned location], I had sufficient stocks and was  headed for home. As I maneuvered the pram under the verandas that line the IGA I spied what a first glance seemed to be a stick, then a badly injured creature, then a Strong Stick Insect in perfect health – but struggling with finding it’s traction on the smooth tiles lining the pavement, in grave risk of meeting an unseemly death.  

Placing my hand down to provide a brief opportunity for escape I found this Anchiale briareus eager for rescue, and quite fond of its newfound support.  Thus I found myself singlehandedly pushing the aforementioned pram, children, and shopping, with my newfound friend settled onto my 'free' hand, ambling back home as the tropical sun shone down upon us.  By the time I had made the hot journey home, my traveling companion had made the trek up the sleeve of my shirt, over my hair and was contentedly embellishing my straw hat.

A surreal decoration, a touch Giacometti, Woman with Her Throat Cut ...






Alberto Giacometti, Woman with Her Throat Cut, 1932



As we were getting along so very well, I made the most of our camaraderie and took the opportunity to document our interaction and the rather beautiful form of this gamely gentle creature.

Reaching for my well-loved Canon G10, purchased in 2009, I sighed; anticipating the frustration of combining so photogenic a subject with the mould damaged lens of my very well traveled camera, fearing the results would leave much to be desired. 

I was delighted to find my fears were unfounded, as I made the unexpected discovery that the unshakeable mould only stamps its presence on images taken with the lens at its widest.  When zooming into a subject the camera performs as well as it ever did… and so came the invitation to embrace the potential and beauty to be found in the intimate…





As I photographed and then re-settled our new tenant into her[?] tree, I was enchanted with her delicate presence and delighting in observing her way of working with the world.  Then the front yard came alive with creative opportunities - now I was taking the time to pay attention…

And so passed this next small pocket of time as I, relishing in my renewed love of my creatively challenged equipment - focused - on the beauty unfolding effortlessly before me and snapped happily away… 


[more posts of the results to follow...]


As they say – less is more…