6.5.13

[O]I wish I may, I wish I might...



Today is International Wishbone Day.  Find something yellow and splash it about...

Two and a half years ago I had never heard of Wishbone Day, or the disease it aims to highlight, Osteogenesis Imperfecta. I was a new mother of a beautiful six month old baby girl full of love and light, and I was reveling in my new role and life in Far North Queensland.

Then came the sunny morning when gently pulling a giggling nine month across the bed for a snuggle resulted in a broken elbow.  So began the long journey to a diagnosis of hypermobility and OI, three femur fractures, a compression fracture to her T6 vertebrae and a broken big toe.

My little girl is three now. She is charismatic, vivacious, and beautiful. This Wishbone day she is in plaster from her toe to her hip, in what is called a Spica Cast, which, for the uninitiated, is like blending a medieval torture device with a makeshift chastity belt.  It is both inspirational and painful to witness how readily she is again adapting to life in her cast; but adapt she does - looking out the window of our car from her custom Spica car seat, exclaiming  'Mumma I LOVE the world';

one cannot help but follow her lead...

So this Wishbone Day I am making a list with my little girl - of all the things she CAN do rather than rattling off a list of 'no's' and 'don'ts'...

Because she CAN and she WILL...  never say never ...




Oh,  and what do B1 and B2 have to do with all of this?

Well apart from being in radiant yellow attire, this Bananatastic team have been with my daughter since the day her first Spica was fitted.  Spied at the hospital's fundraising stall, positioned between the tea cosies and the crochet throws they have watched over her since this first [and each subsequent] cast was fitted...



[B2] 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1?'
[B1]'OI am B2'
[B2]'Lets wear yellow all day today to help raise awareness of Ostegenesis Imperfecta'
[B1 and B2] 'Bananatastic!!'




Find out more information about Osteogenesis Imperfecta here Wishbone Day








Addendum:

As the sun set on Wishbone Day our home was graced by a double rainbow that ended it's journey by kissing the Pyramid...







'Life is like a rainbow.  You need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear.' 

[unattributed]