21.3.13

homecoming...


Djarragun this morning, shrouded by cloud




“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”  

[John Muir]



Djarragun this morning, shrouded by cloud




My father came to Australia from Egypt in 1950.  Pyramids have long been a part of my personal mythology.  Still, I had never envisaged myself making a life at the base of one; nor had I anticipated the daily joy of watching the ebb and flow of sunlight and shadow over such a striking form.  

Then there is the weight of that geology; all that mighty mass of rock, strata - twisted, folded, exposed...

and the mountain that attracts its own weather systems, ever changing, shape shifting; the constant variable that has been delighting my eyes now every day for more than a year... 





cloud settling last night at dusk, from our back yard...




“This mountain, the arched back of the earth risen before us, it made me feel humble, like a beggar, just lucky to be here at all, even briefly.” 

 [Bridget Asher, The Provence Cure for the Brokenhearted: A Novel]




cloud settling last night at dusk, from our back yard...



My father, seated on his mother's lap;
photograph taken on their arrival in Perth, 1950



and below; a few of my favourite Djarragun moments over the past year or so ... 





























23.3.13 addendum: 
Today the birthday poet has been busy drawing Djarragun [without any prompting on my part!].  It is doubly exciting as it has been rare for Dante to state that her drawings are of any specific subject [other than 'a martian in a spaceship'...]  
Here is my current favourite, celebrating her new muse: 






'First I saw the mountains in the painting; then I saw the painting in the mountains...'


[Chinese Proverb]






RELATED POSTS









[text and images copyright Bek Misic 2013 - unless otherwise stated]